Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Writing New Media Assignment, Website Review

I look at Huffington Post everyday for my news now, rather than a watching local TV news station or their website. Their website Huffingtonpost.com is using twitter, blogs and facebook. But I just mainly use their website. I recently subscribed to one of their contributors through Google reader and was overwhelmed by the number of posts. So I deleted that person from my Google reader. That was not as effective as their website and scrolling through headline teasers and selecting what I want to read. But the empty space is usually filled with links or adds making it quite busy.
As a recent graduate from UW Madison’s art department I am highly familiar with their website (http://art.wisc.edu/) and the tools they use. I know they use an email delivery/ template provider for their newsletter, but their website just has a link for their face book fan page. The language on their page can be hard, but they are artists and have a tendency to be long winded.
Being an artist participant and a board member of this non-profit, I work with the website MAOAS.com on a regular basis. This one is need of more work (just from insider knowledge). If you look for the participating artists, there is not contact information (which was available in previous editions). We also do not have a link to our facebook fan page or our email newsletters. Being a volunteer organization it takes a little longer to correct known issues.
The last website that I have reviewed was of http://www.roguesheep.com. I like the easily visible buttons that take you to different pages for more information and they appear to just have a link to blogs underneath all of their “news” snippets of praises and awards. They are a business that creates enhancements for Adobe products and it would help if they had a twitter account to inform customers of new products or additional “did you knows”. But what I prefer about this website is the crisp clean design, not too littered or overpowered as the Huffington post site. The language is brief and to the point. If you want more information it is easy to get to. It has the information needed or contact is easy, verses the MAOAS site where the information needed is not there. Overall I think the rogue sheep site takes the prize.


No comments:

Post a Comment